AU-EU D4D Hub at the Internet Governance Forum 2022
28.11.2022 — 1.12.2022Discover the activities that the project facilitated
A multi-stakeholder dialogue on our digital future
The 17th Internet Governance Forum (IGF) took place in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, and online from 28 November to 2 December 2022. Under the overarching theme Resilient Internet for a Shared Sustainable and Common Future, the event was developed around the following topics:
- Connecting All People and Safeguarding Human Rights
- Avoiding Internet Fragmentation
- Governing Data and Protecting Privacy
- Enabling Safety, Security and Accountability
- Addressing Advanced Technologies, including AI
The AU-EU D4D Hub was a contributor to the IGF 2022 programme. Please find below more information about our activities.
Jointly tackling disinformation and promoting human rights
The AU-EU D4D Hub organised a Town Hall debate with the objective of fostering an open exchange of ideas, experiences and lessons on how to address disinformation through a multi-stakeholder and human-centric approach. The debate built on human rights-based experiences of African and European stakeholders.
Date: Friday 2 December 2022
Time: 13:45-14:45 EAT
Place: Banquet Hall A (UN Conference Centre in Addis Ababa) and online
- Odanga Madung, journalist, Mozilla Foundation fellow, and co-founder of Odipo Dev.
- Simone Toussi, Project Officer for Francophone Africa at the Collaboration on International ICT Policy for East and Southern Africa (CIPESA).
- Charlotte Carnehl, Operations Director at Lie Detectors
- Eden Tadesse, #GirlsinD4D nominee
- Rachad Sanoussi, Digital Grassroots
Fostering an open debate on disinformation
In the lead-up to IGF 2022, the AU-EU D4D Hub organised a blogging competition for African and European bloggers to share their insights on how to tackle online disinformation through human rights-based actions, create awareness of the issues at stake, and foster new ways for Africa-Europe collaboration in the field.
A total of 89 entries from 27 countries were received through an open call for submissions. Nigerian blogger Sunday Jerome Salami, who won the first place, was invited to join the AU-EU D4D Hub at IGF.
Thank you for visiting our stand
The AU-EU D4D Hub also hosted a booth at the IGF Village – both online and in person. Visitors could discover more about the project and meet our team.
The space was also used to present D4D Access, a new knowledge platform to foster exchanges of experiences and expertise between African and European digital stakeholders.
Discover our knowledge sharing platform
The AU-EU D4D Hub launched its new knowledge sharing platform "D4D Access" at IGF. Participants discovered the platform's features, available knowledge products, and how to contribute.
Date: Wednesday 30 November 2022
Time: 10:00-11:00 EAT
Place: Training Room 2 (TR2)